Regional Structural Cross Sections, Mid-Permian to Quaternary Strata, Texas Panhandle and Eastern New Mexico: Distribution of Evaporites and Areas of Evaporite Dissolution and Collapse, by D. A. McGookey, T. C. Gustavson, and A. D. Hoadley. 17 p., 6 figs., 1 table, 12 cross sections, 1988. Print Version.
For a downloadable, digital version: CS0008D.
Warning: Last items in stock!
This set consists of 12 regional cross sections (with text) of the Palo Duro, Dalhart, and Anadarko Basins, illustrating the tabular geometry of Permian evaporite beds, areas where salt has been lost by dissolution, and the effects of dissolution-induced subsidence on Permian and post-Permian strata.
The authors identify areas of dissolution beneath the High Plains, the Caprock Escarpment, the Rolling Plains, the Pecos Plains, and along the Canadian River valley. The cross sections are printed at a vertical scale of 1 inch = 400 feet and a horizontal scale of 1 inch = approximately 8 miles. They were constructed geophysical logs, sample logs, and surficial geologic data. The study was funded by the U.S. Department of Energy Salt Repository Project Office.
Keywords: cross sections, Permian, Quaternary, Panhandle, Texas, New Mexico, evaporites, dissolution, subsidence, High Plains, Caprock Escarpment, Rolling Plains, Pecos Plains, Canadian River valley
Geologic setting of the Texas Panhandle
Salt dissolution and collapse of overlying strata
General explanation of cross sections
Appendix: List of gamma-ray logs used on cross sections
1. Index map of the study area showing locations of cross sections
2. Structural elements of the Texas Panhandle and adjacent areas
3. Evaporite, carbonate, and terrigenous clastic facies and inferred environments of middle and upper Permian rocks, Texas Panhandle
4. Inferred paleogeography during the initial stage of Dockum sedimentation south of the Amarillo Uplift and Sierra Grande Arch
5. Geographic extent of existing salt beds within the Texas Panhandle and eastern New Mexico
6. Cross section AA-AA' showing evidence for interpretation of salt dissolution, Texas Panhandle
Stratigraphic chart, Permian to Quaternary strata, Palo Duro Basin and surrounding area
Regional structural cross sections A-A' though L-L', Texas Panhandle
McGookey, D. A., Gustavson, T. C., and Hoadley, A. D., 1988, Regional Structural Cross Sections, Mid-Permian to Quaternary Strata, Texas Panhandle and Eastern New Mexico: Distribution of Evaporites and Areas of Evaporite Dissolution and Collapse: The University of Texas at Austin, Bureau of Economic Geology, Cross Section CS 8, 17 p., 12 cross sections.